The selective solar control product families COOL-LITE® XTREME and COOL-LITE® SKN are available on ORAÉ® substrate, the new low-carbon glass of Saint-Gobain Glass.
With ORAÉ®, Saint-Gobain Glass has achieved a landmark technical breakthrough enabling it to offer the first glass with a low embodied carbon thanks to a substantial R&D effort and the excellence of our industrial teams. This innovation will help to significantly reduce the carbon footprint of construction and accelerate the development of the circular economy.
Intended for use in the glazed parts of a facade, COOL-LITE® ORAÉ® range is a perfect response to the stricter sustainability requirements of the building industry without any compromise on technical or aesthetic performance.
COOL-LITE® ORAÉ® provides the best of both embodied and operational carbon levels, thanks to:
- The low carbon footprint of ORAÉ®, produced by combining high recycled glass content (64% according to ISO 14021:1999) and renewable electricity.
- The excellent energy performances of the COOL-LITE® XTREME and COOL-LITE® SKN coatings, which already drastically reduce carbon emissions generated by energy consumption, when using the building thanks to its high performance in terms of daylight intake, solar control and thermal insulation.
Cradle to Cradle Certified® version 4.0 certification
COOL-LITE® ORAÉ® is Cradle to Cradle Certified® Bronze. Cradle to Cradle Certified® V4.0 assesses products based on five rigorous categories: material health, product circularity, climate air & climate protection, water & soil stewardship, and social fairness.
As part of achieving certification, it received a Platinum rating for Product circularity thanks to its high recycled glass content.
"Solar Impulse Efficient Solution" Label
In line with our resolute dedication to innovation and sustainability, ORAÉ® has been certified with the "Solar Impulse Efficient Solution" Label.
ORAÉ® joins the other 1,500 'Efficient Solutions' that have successfully completed thorough evaluations under the Solar Impulse Foundation initiative. Independent experts have assessed our solution regarding various aspects including feasibility, scalability, environmental impact, and profitability.
ORAÉ® is offering exactly the same aesthetics as the regular clear float glass PLANICLEAR®.
Combined with COOL-LITE® coatings, the low external reflection as well as the colour-neutral external appearance creates an excellent combination of function and aesthetics.
COOL-LITE® XTREME ORAÉ® and COOL-LITE® SKN ORAÉ® are available in standard sizes and thicknesses (4, 6, 8 and 10mm).
In complementarity to these products, assembled in double or triple glazing, the uncoated ORAÉ® as well as our low-e PLANITHERM® ORAÉ®, ECLAZ® ORAÉ® and our STADIP® laminated glass range are also available for the counter panes of the IGU.
As an early demonstration of the market’s enthusiasm, four major real estate partners, Bouygues Immobilier, Icade Santé, Nexity and NCC have already committed to use low carbon COOL-LITE® XTREME glass in their projects:
- Bouygues Immobilier will implement it on its office building operation Kalifornia (Hauts-de-Seine, France)
- Icade Santé will install it on the Elsan Group Polyclinique du Parc in Caen (Calvados, France)
- Nexity will use it on the Carré Invalides rehabilitation (Paris, France)
- NCC chose it for a new office project Habitat 7 (Gothenburg, Sweden)
COOL-LITE® ORAÉ® provides the same performances and quality as COOL-LITE® PLANICLEAR®, with a lower carbon footprint.
According to the verified EPD:
- The ORAÉ® substrate has a carbon footprint of only 6.64 kg CO2 eq./m2 (for a 4mm substrate), a reduction of 42% compared to our European standard product PLANICLEAR® (publication of the EPD in April 2023).
- The magnetron COOL-LITE® coatings on ORAÉ® have a carbon footprint of only 10.26 kg CO2 eq./m2 (for a 6 mm substrate), bringing a reduction of 43% compared to our European standard product magnetron coating on PLANICLEAR® (publication of the EPD in November 2023).
Coated, processed and assembled in insulated glazing unit, the carbon footprint reduction is then around 30% to 40%, depending on the exact IGU composition.
- According to EN673
- According to EN410
- Global Warming Potential (GWP A1-A3 stages) values with PLANICLEAR® and ORAÉ®, are calculations made with Calumen® for each composition of insulated glazing unit (IGU) on the basis of the standard EN 15804+A2. Detailed environmental data are documented in the available Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) of PLANICLEAR® and ORAÉ®. Only complete EPD can be verified by an external third party.
- All panes of the DGU with the same substrate; first pane respectively annealed or tempered (II) with the same glass compositions; counter panes always annealed.
EPD LIBRARY ENVIRONDEC
You can find all the EPDs on the Environdec database for each product at the range by clicking on the links below.